EMDRIA Approved Online
EMDR Therapy Training with an Expressive Arts Therapy Focus Online
Part I: July 21-23, 2023
Part II: October 6-8, 2023
9:00am-5:30pm Eastern Time Each Day
This training offers the Part I & Part II curriculum normally offered in-person, including all practicum components, in a convenient, online format. The Institute for Creative Mindfulness is known for focusing only on the standard EMDR therapy protocol in our initial trainings, with proper attention paid to dynamics like dissociation and complex trauma, for optimal implementation in clinical settings. The mindfulness-informed and trauma-focused thread that runs through all of our instructional offerings makes implementation of standard EMDR therapy with more complex cases possible from the beginning of your EMDR training experience. In this online format, you will experience an unprecedented opportunity to learn adaptations for telehealth, while still being able to get grounded in how to use EMDR therapy for in-office applications. The training components, when combined with an additional ten hours of required consultation and successful completion of a post-test, meet all requirements for completing an EMDRIA-approved training in EMDR therapy.
This training also has a special focus on Expressive arts therapy that is an approach to psychotherapy with roots in indigenous cultures and a rich history of evolution within modalities such as Jungian, person-centered, and Gestalt psychotherapies. Defined by its emphasis on the multi-modal process of healing (exploring many combinations for creativity rather than relying on just one art form), the strategies of expressive arts psychotherapy can prove useful to trauma therapists practicing in a variety of modalities. In this training, participants will be introduced to the fundamentals of expressive arts and how to implement expressive arts strategies in EMDR therapy, especially in Phases 2 and 7, focusing on how dual attention stimulus can be used to strengthen the connection to expressive/creative resources. The standard EMDRIA-approved training curriculum is covered in full. We will have the opportunity to discuss and clarify your questions about the applications of EMDR therapy, the role of creativity, and the practice of making art as mechanisms of action in processing traumatic experiences and promoting post-traumatic growth.
Discovered by Dr. Francine Shapiro, eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is one of the most researched and utilized methods in the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other forms of human distress connected to trauma. Completing our full basic training approved by the EMDR International Association is a multi-tiered process of which this three-day training is your first part. Part I Training (3 Days= 21 total hours of Lecture and Practicum): Covers the basics of trauma, the adaptive information processing model, trauma-informed stabilization, and the basic methodology and mechanisms of action used in EMDR Therapy. You will be able to practice EMDR Therapy with certain cases after completion of Part I. Day 1 of the training course covers the foundational material that you will need on trauma, specifically discussed through the adaptive information processing model, that you will need to competently deliver EMDR Therapy. By the end of the day you will also see a live demonstration in EMDR Therapy. Day 2 of the course takes you into specific study of EMDR Therapy Phases 1-2, generally seen as the phases of foundation and stabilization. By the end of the day you will be practicing these phases in your practicum sessions under supervision. Decision-making about moving into Phases 3-6 is also discussed, and an overview of the remaining Phases of EMDR is presented in lecture. In Day 3 you will practice Phases 3-8 of EMDR Therapy under supervision in your practicum sessions, which compose the bulk of the day. You will also receive introductory instruction for dealing with abreactions in EMDR Therapy and discuss the next steps for your training and consultation development in EMDR. For full description and objectives see our website. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for complete CE and approval info.
Course only available as part of a bundle (Part I & Part II). Please read the following informed consent prior to registering. After completing this initial registration, you will receive an email from Thinkific to finalize your registration and be given access to preliminary course materials in your personalized dashboard.
By Registering For This Training, You Acknowledge And Agree To The Following:
- Attendance: Your presence at the entire training is required at all sessions, on video, as an attendance verification. No partial credit can be awarded. You have read our EMDR Therapy Training information page prior to registering. Please also note that by taking the training in this online format, you will be required to pass a quiz following the second part of the training, per EMDRIA guidelines.
- Technological Requirements: Attendance at all live sessions on the indicated dates is mandatory for completion of this course. These live lecture and practicum sessions will be hosted by the video conferencing platform Zoom. Links for joining these live sessions via zoom are included in the course portals. These links will prompt you to download the Zoom software if you have not already done so, and will then connect you to the session. Please plan on joining a few minutes early for troubleshooting if you are not already familiar with the platform. For more information on how to join a Zoom meeting, please read through the following article: https://www.howtogeek.com/662339/how-to-join-a-zoom-meeting/. By registering for these trainings, you acknowledge that you meet the technological requirements needed to participate. If you require technical assistance, you are required to reach out to your instructor at least one week prior to the start of training.
- Payment: Purchase of this training is broken into two payments of $650.00 USD, with the first being due at the time of purchase and the second one month later. If the second payment cannot be processed due to issues with a credit card, you will be unenrolled from the course bundle. Please notify our office at [email protected] with any changes. Note that requests for refunds are governed by ICM's Organizational Policies.
- Refund/Cancellation Policy: You have read and agree to ICM's Organizational Policies, which stipulate the terms for refunds, cancellations, and resolving grievances and disputes.
- Consultation: The EMDRIA-required 10 consultation hours are not included in the cost of online training. We structure our program so that you are able to work with any of our ICM approved consultants or consultants in training for consultation hours to supplement the online training. Our consultants represent a wide range of specialties at a variety of price points. In the spirit of ICM's mission, emphasizing trauma-focused care and tailoring the most effective program for our individual trainees, we believe the choice of consultant is important to the overall learning experience.
- Correspondence from Training Organization: The Institute for Creative Mindfulness regularly sends correspondence about the training, including an email confirmation at registration and several emails leading up to each training. The emails presently come from [email protected]. Additionally, The Institute for Creative Mindfulness may send out emails from [email protected]. If you are not receiving these emails, you are required to check your Spam folder as correspondence from new organizations often ends up there. Once you receive your first correspondence, please save the email to your address book. If you have not received a confirmation email or other correspondence from the organization within seven days of the event, it is your responsibility to reach out to us by email or phone.
- Additional Reading Requirements: Please take note of the EMDR Therapy Training Reading List. EMDRIA requires that you purchase and read Francine Shapiro's Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy, Third Edition: Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures, which is available for purchase at Amazon and other retailers.
- Professionalism: You will show up on time and be fully present for each session, acting in a professional manner. You will reach out to your faculty member or any assistants if any unexpected problems arise. Staying present for online learning can come with its unique set of challenges, and you agree to take full responsibility for addressing your needs in the area of grounding and self-care during the training. You agree to refrain from all alcohol and illicit drug use during the training and agree to speak with your faculty member or an assistant if you anticipate that your impairment due to prescribed medications might pose a problem during the training. The faculty and staff reserve the right to remove trainees at any time if the trainee creates an unsafe or unprofessional environment for you or for other trainees, or for any other reason, at their sole discretion.
- Confidentiality: There is no client relationship or other privilege that would create a duty rising to the level of clinical confidentiality in this training setting; however, you are expected to respect the confidentiality of other trainees in the group, and your trainer will explain the importance of confidentiality. Trainees who observe a problem with another trainee are expected to bring the problem to the lead trainer or other training staff. Similarly, if a staff member observes an issue with professionalism, they reserve the right to discuss that issue with the lead trainer.
- Preparedness for Doing Your Own Work: Throughout the training, you will be expected to participate in a working practicum experience in the role of therapist, client, and observer. This means that you will be expected to do a small piece of your own, authentic clinical work. If you are currently in counseling or being treated for a mental health condition, it is recommended that you speak with your provider, alerting them that you are participating in the training. If you have received a major mental health diagnosis (past or present), you acknowledge that you are taking this training and engaging in this practicum at your own risk, and agree to alert faculty or training staff before or during the training if any complications arise. You acknowledge that everyone taking part in the practicum experience is new to EMDR therapy and agree to keep the space as safe as possible for all involved. If any problems arise, you agree to address them with faculty or staff members.
Email [email protected] with any questions or concerns. After registering for this course you will receive an email from Thinkific which will ask you to complete your registration and give you access to the course portal.
This is an ONLINE training. This is a beginner-level course. Attendance at all sessions, and course evaluation is required to receive CE Certificate. Course evaluations are made available after all sessions have been completed within this course portal. Upon completing the evaluation, participants will automatically receive their certificate via the email used to create their Thinkific account. If the certificate is not received within 24 hours, please contact ICM's operations manager, Beck Bright-Samarzia, at [email protected]
The Institute for Creative Mindfulness is approved by the following organizations to offer 21 continuing education (CE) credit hours for each course. Both courses in the bundle constitute 42 CE credit hours.
State of Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board
The Institute for Creative Mindfulness is an approved provider of continuing education by the State of Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board for counselors, social workers, and marriage/family therapists. Approval: #RCS091306
American Psychological Association
The Institute for Creative Mindfulness is approved by American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Institute for Creative Mindfulness maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
National Board for Certified Counselors
The Institute for Creative Mindfulness has been approved by National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. . Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Institute for Creative Mindfulness is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
This course is APPROVED by the EMDR International Association (EMDRIA)
The Institute for Creative Mindfulness is an approved training provider in EMDR Therapy by the EMDR International Association (EMDRIA) Approval: #10002. Completion of Part I and Part II constitutes partial training in EMDR Therapy. Supplementary consultation is required for full Certificate of Completion. EMDRIA is not a provider of continuing education, although they do authorize training providers in EMDR therapy after a rigorous approval process.
A General Note About Approvals
Please also note that APA-approved sponsors are accepted by many state boards, such as California BBS and major licensure boards within the state of Pennsylvania. In both of these cases, separate paperwork does not need to be filled out. Many state boards also accept out-of-state providers, which is why our Ohio approvals appear on every training. In some states, pre- or post-program approval forms must be sent, and you are responsible for checking into the rules of the licensure board in your state as to what is required. Please let the Institute for Creative Mindfulness know if you need support documentation in any way for these pre or post-program approval applications.
EMDR Therapy Training with an Expressive Arts Therapy Focus Part I: July 21-23, 2023 (with Irene M. Rodriguez) (Online)
EMDR Therapy Training: Part I
EMDR Therapy Training with an Expressive Arts Therapy Focus Part II: October 6-8, 2023 (with Irene M. Rodriguez) (Online)
EMDR Therapy Training with an Expressive Arts Focus: Part II